With eCommerce accounting for 13% or more of all global retail sales this year, and a predicted 17% in 2021, it pays to have a website that's not only user-friendly but one that makes shopping easier (and dare we say, a bit fun) for today's consumers. Add these features to your website to make your online products come to life, while also providing a seamless experience for your customers.
1. USE INTERACTIVE PRODUCT CONTENT
Stunning videos and photos will always be important for selling a product. Today's consumers, however, love eCommerce sites that go a step further. Virtually invite them into your showrooms, or better yet, bring your product directly into their homes with interactive content.
At a minimum, allow customers to get up close and personal with your pieces like they'd be able to do in your store. Bring in 360° views of your products so they can check out it out from different angles. Add the opportunity to zoom in or see detailed views of materials or fabrics. When possible, let them change the color to see all their possibilities.
Spark joy by adding virtual reality (VR) or augmented reality (AR) functions to your product pages so customers can see exactly how your pieces will look in their space. Create room builders and other simulations to keep them on your website, rearranging and adding new pieces to their dream homes.
2. DON'T SKIMP ON THE DETAILS
Just as interactive product content adds a tangible feeling to your online pieces, robust product descriptions help customers make purchasing decisions with more confidence.
Up to 88% of people say that detailed product information is "extremely important" to their purchasing decisions. They want to know what a product looks like, of course, but they also want to know its dimensions, the materials used, care instructions, and more.
Adding these details are a no-brainer, but the more comprehensive you can make your descriptions, the better. Customers both appreciate, and increasingly demand, this. Think beyond the basics. Every detail that you can include in the product description can be helpful.
- The story behind the piece's design or information about the artist who created it
- Links to complementary pieces in a set, related products, or must-have accessories
- Full installation, specification, or assembly instructions to review beforehand
- Information about the product's sustainability or charitable impact
- Answers to frequently-asked questions
- Access to customer reviews, with high-level star ratings as well as detailed reviews
- Complete information about any product features or included components (such as batteries or storage boxes)
This provides another benefit beyond increased sales. A robust, complete product description also helps you avoid more returns.
3. GUIDE THEIR JOURNEY WITH ADVANCED PRODUCT FILTERS
Longer descriptions will only be useful if people can find your product in the first place. Advanced product filtering is the sort of website feature that customers love for a big reason: it makes shopping a whole lot easier.
Convenience is the leading reason people shop online. Make it even easier by guiding customers through their purchasing journey with great product filtering. Allow website visitors to narrow down their options with filters for:
- Sale or clearance items
- New arrivals
- Trending or best sellers
- Theme, look, or style (think filters like "mid-century spaces" or "wedding gifts")
- Average review
- Shipping options (such as "free shipping" or "next-day")
- Category-specific filters (think "dishwasher-safe" filters for dining or "thread-count" for sheets)
- Number of included items
This is one of the areas where your website can truly stand out. For example, one report found that up to 42% of eCommerce sites don't have category-specific filters for their core product categories.
You can also provide more help with prominent suggested filters for your most popular categories. For example, in your "Kitchen" category add easy-to-click options like "dining sets," "serving dishes," or "pots and pans." 84% of websites don't promote these important category-wide filters.
4. HELP CUSTOMERS DIRECTLY WITH CHATBOTS
Another eCommerce website feature that makes shopping a breeze? Chatbots.
Highly-advanced retail chatbots provide a warm, personalized experience for today's consumers. These computer programs are becoming harder to distinguish from real humans, as they better mimic speech and handle customer questions.
Allow your chatbots to give customers a nudge when they're searching for a specific item or fetch related products. They can also efficiently answer frequently-answered questions about shipping, return policies, sizing, and more.